DiRT 4 Dev Diary – Introducing The Your Stage Feature
Codemasters published the first Dev Diary for their upcoming DiRT 4 title.
In this first DiRT 4 Dev Diary, Codemasters community manager Christina McGrath shares some details about the different DiRT 4 editions that will become available.
Furthermore, Codemasters included a video which introduces the innovative “Your Stage” track generator. Double FIA World Rallycross Champion Petter Solberg and rally driver Kris Meeke who both were involved in the development of DiRT 4, share their personal thoughts on the “Your Stage” feature which allows you to produce an almost infinite number of unique rally stages with a few button or mouse clicks.
DiRT 4 is scheduled for release on the 9th of June for the PS4, Xbox One, and Windows PC. Codemasters will release Dirt 4 in 3 different editions.
- Day One Edition of DiRT 4 – Features an exclusive Hyundai R5 rally car as well as a unique event, livery, and Founder Icon.
- Special Edition for retail – Features the Day One content – plus a Team Booster Pack that will give you a unique team offer, staff and facilities bonuses.
- Steelbook option (retailers TBC) – Includes the Special Edition content with a limited edition steel box.
Dirt 4 will let you generate your own tracks to race on using an innovative rally route creation tool called Your Stage. When selecting one of the five available rally locations (Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden, and Wales) you will be able to customize a selection of track parameters by the use of simple sliders.
- Time of day
- Weather conditions
- Stage length
- Reverse the stage
If you do not like the result, you can just start over by just clicking the Generate button and create a new one. Besides driving your generated track, you will also be able to share your creation with fellow Dirt 4 players and challenge them to beat your time.
Paul Coleman, DiRT 4’s Chief Game Designer, commented: “Your Stage is something that we have been working on since the launch of DiRT 3 in 2011. It allows players to generate an almost infinite variety of stages at all of the rally locations in DiRT 4. It’s a revelation as now our players will get the thrill of driving a new stage whenever they want.”
“It is extremely simple for you to create a stage but, behind the scenes, we have an extraordinarily complex series of rules and algorithms that put these routes together. Your Stage creates such a huge variety of routes, some that we would never have thought of crafting before, and they’re amazing to drive.”
With DiRT 4, Codemasters have sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, accessibility and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3.
Featuring classic rally racing that continues to build on the foundations set by the Colin McRae Rally games, the bruising contests from the official FIA World Rallycross Championship, the crazy battles of racing trucks and buggies, and the outrageous fun of open events in Joyride, players will face challenges from locations that span three continents.
- Over 50 of the most breath-taking Off-road cars ever built – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
- 5 incredible rally locations with millions of routes – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales
- The official game of the FIA World RallyCross Championship – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac Bretagne, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series
- Landrush – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
Official Webpage – www.dirt4game.com