When Fanatec teased us with Double-D typos and the intriguing line “Are you ready!” we knew something was up. When in a recent interview, Thomas Jackermeier, who is the CEO of Fanatec, hinted that a low-priced Direct Drive wheel was coming, it was just a matter of when, how much, and is it the works?
Well, #Soon just got a little faster.
German Sim Racing peripheral manufacturer Fanatec, just dropped a bombshell, introducing the Fanatec CSL DD Wheelbase, bringing Direct Drive to the CSL Series, without taking any shortcuts in quality or performance. Therefore, Direct Drive technology is no longer exclusively reserved for the high-end Fanatec Podium range of wheelbases and with it making direct drive wheels and its add-ons available for the mass market.
Even more impressive is its price. The Fanatec CSL DD will become available for 349,95€ (incl. VAT) / 349,95$ (excl. VAT) + shipping. This is considerably lower than some competitor belt-driven solutions. Therefore it is safe to say that with this product price point Fanatec decapitated the current competition, and has now set a new standard.
The Fanatec CSL DD houses a brand-new, purpose build sim racing motor, developed in Germany, featuring the patented FluxBarrier™ technology achieving remarkable efficiency for its size. The motor delivers a peak torque of 5 Nm. However, Fanatec will also retail an optional Boost Kit 180, including a larger power supply unlocking 8 Nm of torque.
Furthermore, the CSL DD features an improved, automotive-grade, all-aluminum exchangeable quick-release unit which is ready for the transition to the soon-to-be revealed new QR2 system.
Last but not least, Thomas Jackermeier stated that currently, Fanatec is working on some more DD wheels, including models that will be PS5 licensed, bringing the CSL DD to the console market.
Shipping is expected to start in Q3 of this year. Pre-orders will open as soon as a reliable shipping date is confirmed.
Official Webpages – www.fanatec.com
- Direct-Drive system delivers instant, detailed force feedback
- Linear, consistent performance (5 Nm peak torque with standard power supply)
- Patented, exclusive FluxBarrier™ technology optimizes motor efficiency and smoothness
- Full Fanatec SDK support ensures game compatibility out of the box for all major racing games
- Standard Tuning Menu allows beginners to get started quickly without having to worry about settings
- Advanced Tuning Menu allows enthusiasts to fine-tune the force feedback characteristics to suit their driving preferences
- High-resolution (contactless) Hall-position-sensor, same as Podium Series
- Steering axis made from carbon fiber-enhanced composite
- Fanless – wheelbase housing is made from aluminum (passive heat sink, core structural component) with composite end caps
- Wireless-QR technology (slip ring system, life-tested 24/7 for thousands of hours) means no mechanical rotation limiter, provides cable-free delivery of power and data to steering wheels
- Automotive-grade quick release, exchangeable
- T-nut rail system on sides and bottom for easily adjustable hard-mounting
The efficiency of the CSL DD motor technology means dynamic force-feedback performance is contained in a small footprint. This is also the first industrial motor to feature a carbon fibre composite motor shaft, which increases responsiveness and acceleration significantly due to low rotational masses.
Up to 8 Nm of torque
Standard peak torque is 5 Nm, with the Boost Kit 180 (optional) unlocking the full 8 Nm. This high level of torque can be sustained without the need for active cooling, with the extruded and CNC-machined aluminium casing acting as the structural chassis as well as the heatsink.
Upgradable quick release
The CSL DD uses an automotive-grade, all-aluminium quick release. This component is user-exchangeable, ready for the transition to the all-new QR2 system (coming soon).
Automotive-grade quick release system
The all-aluminium construction and anodised surface ensures strength and durability, providing a robust connection to Fanatec Steering Wheels.
Ready for the future
Connected internally to the wheelbase via USB-C, the quick release can be upgraded easily to the next-generation QR2 system (coming soon). Existing Fanatec wheels with an exchangeable Quick Release can also be upgraded to QR2.
Temporary mounting possible with optional table clamp (not included).