Valve Index VR headset Review By Sim Racing Corner
Virtual Reality is still struggling to become a mainstream entertainment market. Despite the slow growth, most HMD manufacturers such as Oculus, HTC, Pimax, and HP have upped their game with new and improved VR units. One of the more recent headsets to hit the market is the Valve Index.
Jeremy from the Sim Racing Corner YouTube channel reviews the new Valve Index VR headset from a sim racers perspective.
The Valve Index Kit is Including the Headset, Controllers, and two Base Stations is advertised via the official Valve website for €1079. The Headset + Controllers are on sale for €799, while the headset alone is available for €539. A separate base station will cost you €159, and the controllers sell for €299. Keep in mind that at the time of writing, all items were only available on pre-order.
- Displays – Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)
- Framerate – 80/90/120/144Hz
- Optics – Double element, canted lens design
- Field of View (FOV) – Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive
- Inter-pupillary Distance (IPD) – 58mm – 70mm range physical adjustment
- Ergonomic Adjustments – Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.
- Connections – 5m tether, 1m breakaway trident connector. USB 3.0, DisplayPort 1.2, 12V power
- Tracking – SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations
- Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz – 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.
- Aux Headphone Out 3.5mm
- Dual Microphone Array, Frequency response: 20Hz – 24kHz, Sensitivity: -25dBFS/Pa @ 1kHz
The Valve Index Kit includes the following:
- Integrated Headphones
- Headset Cable
- Headset Connection Cable with DisplayPort 1.2 and USB 3.0 Connections
- Headset Power Supply
- Regionalized Headset Power Adapter(s)
- Headset Cradle Adapter (for smaller heads)
- Headset Face Gasket
- 2 Controllers, Left and Right
- 2 Controller Lanyards
- 2 USB Controller Charging Cables
- 2 SteamVR 2.0 Base Stations
- 2 15 ft (4.5 m) Base Station Power Cables
- 2 Base Station Stands with Mounting Hardware
- Regionalized Base Station Power Adapter Plug(s)
- Cleaning Cloth
Official Webpages – www.valvesoftware.com