Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Review By The Sim Racing Garage
Barry Rowland of the Sim Racing Garage reviews the Fanatec CSL Elite racing wheel. As usual, Barry takes a detailed look at both the external and internal features of the product and performs a hands-on test after mounting the wheel to his motion rig.
While the CSL Elite Wheel looks allot like its original predecessor, released back in 2016, it does contain some significant improvements. Fanatec also added some electronics provided by Sony to ensure that the racing wheel is properly recognized by the PlayStation console. furthermore, Fanatec has incorporated some of the features of the the ClubSport 2.5. The motor tor driver electronics are completely different to the CSL Elite Wheel Base and the same as on the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5. The motor itself and the power supply is also identical to the CS WB V2.5 but because of the different gear ratio, this wheelbase has less torque but more speed.
The wheelbase is fitted with an 11.8-inch Sony-inspired wheel featuring a perforated genuine leather and suede fabric with blue stitching. The weight of the rim is reduced to 970g which makes it the lightest steering wheel in the Fanatec range. The shifter paddles have been redesigned and now include Snaptron® snapdomes. Last but not least, the buttons are now interchangeable so you can use easy symbols to remember the mapping of your most important racing game functions.
The CSL Elite Racing Wheel is available at the Fanatec web store costing 499.95€ Incl. 19% VAT.
PS4 CSL Elite Racing Wheel Features:
- Ultra-strong brushless servo motor which delivers up to 6Nm of torque on the steering axis
- Single belt drive unit with ultra-low lag and cogging, and big ball bearings for lowest friction
- DirectSensor™ on the steering axis to prevent influences of the belt drive on the position sensor
- Very fast steering wheel acceleration – ideal for drifting
- 1080° of rotation which can be adjusted in the tuning menu of the attached steering wheel
- Integrated rev light bar in the wheelbase
- Choose from a growing selection of very realistic steering wheels in many different styles
- Quick Release system to allow for the easy exchange of steering wheels within seconds, also during gameplay
- Supports vibration motors in the steering wheel (depending on the steering wheel model). The included steering wheel does not come with vibration motors.
- Table clamp included. The thickness range of the table board/desktop that the table clamp is able to lock is 1,0 to 6,0 cm
- Firmware can be updated with new features
- Motor driver firmware can also be updated
- Fast 1000 Hz USB update rate
- Allows connection of two external shifters (e.g. H-pattern and sequential) in parallel
- Mount for ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles and other optional accessories
- Connection ports for peripheral devices: USB, Power, Pedals, Shifter 1, Shifter 2, Handbrake
- Steering wheel with realistic size (Ø 30cm/11,81″)
- Very low steering wheel weight of only 970 g for fast acceleration and fidelity
- RevStripe™ in wheel rim, which is a combined center stripe and a rev meter, using a multicolor LED
- Three digits LED display smoothly integrated to wheel rim below the RevStripe™, featuring telemetry data like speed or gears to be displayed by games or third-party software
- Wheel rim with perforated genuine leather, suede fabric, and cross-stitched seam
- Completely redesigned, durable shifter paddles with intensive Snapdome click feeling
- Brushed aluminum spokes with fiber enforced back cover
- Buttons with PS4™ symbols, exchangeable by included racing style button caps
- Tuning functions* with LED display of the steering wheel to adjust settings independent from the game and during gameplay
- Saves up to 5 wheel set-ups
- Adjust sensitivity independent from the game. Turning angle can be adjusted in the wheel from 90° to 1080°
- Adjust force feedback strength during gameplay
- Adjustment for vibration intensity in the steering wheel (depending on the steering wheel model). The vibration motors can be used by a game directly or by the ABS function
- Simulate ABS vibration in the steering wheel (depending on the steering wheel model) and on pedals with rumble motor like the ClubSport Pedals V3 by setting a starting point at % of brake input
- Advanced Drift Mode can add a natural damper to avoid oscillation or a negative damper which will speed up the wheel.
- Customize the force feedback sensations by changing the spring, force effects and dampening forces
- Adjust the brake force sensitivity of compatible load cell pedals like the ClubSport Pedals V3 or the CSL Elite Pedals LC
- * Tuning functions are subject to change.
- Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake (direct connection to wheelbase)
- All Fanatec ClubSport steering wheels
- All Fanatec CSL and CSL Elite steering wheels
- All Fanatec ClubSport, CSR, CSR Elite, CSL and CSL Elite Pedals (adapter cables might be required)
- All Fanatec CSL and ClubSport Shifters (two shifters simultaneously)
- Fanatec ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles
- Mounting on cockpits and wheel stands: 3 hard-mount points on the bottom of the wheelbase. Please refer to the drilling template in the download section for the hole pattern and distances. The hole pattern is identical with the ClubSport Wheel Bases without the angle adapter (3 hard-mount holes). Please take note that the CSL Elite Wheel Base (PS4™ version) hole pattern is NOT compatible with the discontinued CSL Seat.
- Please note: Compatibilities to all peripherals except CSL Elite Pedals are tested by Fanatec but not tested nor endorsed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
- PlayStation® systems: This product is fully compatible to the PlayStation®4 system on all games which are supporting this wheel. This includes popular titles like GT Sport, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, DiRT 4 and much more. Please find a list of compatible games here.
- Xbox® systems: The compatibility of the wheelbase to Xbox One® (incl. Scorpio) can be achieved with (optional) Fanatec steering wheels with Xbox One® compatibility. Xbox One® compatibility is tested by Fanatec, but not tested nor endorsed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
- PC: This racing wheel is compatible with PC on all major racing games. PC compatibility is tested by Fanatec, but not tested nor endorsed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
- IMPORTANT: Before use, please connect the product to a PC, download the latest driver and then update the firmware of the wheel. This assures latest compatibilities and newest features.
- This racing wheel contains a wheelbase and a steering wheel that are not available for sale separately. This product comes as a set, delivered as separate products for assembly.
- Pedals not included. Please use the product configurator to configure your system.
- Table clamp included. You can also mount it with screws to a cockpit or wheel stand (see drilling template in download section).
- No hard-mount screws included. Please read the manual for information about qualified screws.
- To connect discontinued Fanatec Pedals with PS/2 Socket like CSP V1/V2 or CSR, you need the additional PS/2 to RJ12 cable
- Size (L x W x H) : 45.00cm x 39.00cm x 39.00cm
- Weight: 9.50kg
- Volume weight: 16.85kg
- CSL Elite Wheel Base (PS4™ version)
- CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 (PS4™ version)
- Table clamp
- Table clamp screw with handle
- Power supply unit (cable length: power supply to wheelbase 1,5 m/6 ft)
- Power cord (regional) (cable length: socket to power supply 1,5 m/6 ft.)
- USB connection cable (2 m/6 ft.)
- O-Ring (spare for Quick Release Shaft)
- Allen key 5mm
- Fixation screw M6 x 18mm (flat head) for simplified Quick Release
- Racing style button caps for CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 (PS4™ version)
- PS4™ button caps for (optional) ClubSport steering wheels
Official Webpage – www.fanatec.com